The Nürburgring-Nordschleife at its best: The two Free Practice sessions of the FIA WTCC saw totally different conditions. With the first session on a wet track and a lot of fog all around the world-famous circuit, Norbert Michelisz managed a strong sixth place in the No. 5 Honda Civic WTCC, recording a lap-time of 10:24,956 minutes.
"It was a very interesting session", Norbert says. "I was satisfied with the performance. But I cannot remember when I was that excited for the last time because driving in the wet on a circuit like this is just amazing. Of course, you have to take risks but I was trying to avoid too much risk. It was a lot of fun. I cannot wait for the next session. Hopefully we can continue with this trend towards qualifying and have a successful day."
Free Practice 2, however, provided Norbert and the MOL Group Zengő Motorsport team with a different kind of challenge as the sun was out and the track was dry again. Lapping the 25-kilometer track in 8:45,213 minutes, Norbert claimed tenth position and further deepened his knowledge of this difficult track.
"What an amazing circuit", he says. "Every corner is fascinating and I enjoy every moment. On the other hand I am a bit disappointed because we are struggling. It will be tough to get into the top 10 in Qualifying. But this is my main target, of course."
Results Free Practice 1 (Top 5):
01. Jaap van Lagen (Lada) – 10:17,981 minutes
02. Rob Huff (Lada) – 10:19,432
03. Tom Chilton (Chevrolet RML) – 10:23,247
04. Tiago Monteiro (Honda) – 10:23,623
05. Stefano D'Aste (Chevrolet RML) – 10:24,603
06. Norbert Michelisz (Honda) – 10:24,956
Results Free Practice 2 (Top 5):
01. José María López (Citroën) – 8:39,441minutes
02. Hugo Valente (Chevrolet RML) – 8:40,336
02. Sébastien Loeb (Citroën) – 840,688
03. Yvan Muller (Citroën) – 8:40,923
05. Qing-Hua Ma (Citroën) – 8:42,192
10. Norbert Michelisz (Honda) – 8:45,213